-->
skip to main | skip to sidebar

Tuesday 25 September 2007

Publication Day

Well, today's the day. I know that a few copies have already snuck out there, but as of now The Kingdom of Bones is official goods.

I don't think I've ever had a novel that's attracted as much advance reaction as this one... and let me tell you, that's never been for want of trying.

I think it's a great-looking piece of production. With its old-fashioned typesetting and deckled page edges it looks and feels like some rare object that's been put together out of yellow fog and old parchment.

I've tried something new this time around. Taken together, the original research plan and detailed research diary contain over 20,000 words of background material. There was never any question of including them in the book, but the acknowledgements page offers a link to thekingdomofbones.com where both documents are available as downloadable PDFs.

Trust me, they're for obsessives only. Them, and anyone interested in the level of detail involved in writing a historical.

I must be a glutton for punishment. I've another under way and a third one planned. They're not sequels, but their worlds overlap in a way that should make for one unified, three-headed opus.

There you go. Advertisement over.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Had a look at the 'obsessive only' stuff; I thought they were pretty interesting!

Well done on the novel! I'll look for it in the bookshops.

Stephen Gallagher said...

God bless ya. I'm told that early copies were spotted in Murder One on Charing Cross Road.